Welcome to 2015!
やっほー！ (CV: Sakura) Before starting out on a brand new year, let’s look back on what happened in the past one. I was MMO-free this year, so it gave me more time to enjoy the many games that came out (or just search for Ikazuchi pics all day).
The blog passed its 6th year anniversary in September and recently achieved 3 million total views! Thank you!! Not much has changed in the site structure (still mostly weekly and monthly posts). I’ve now moved the picture uploads on Twitter from Twitpic (RIP) to the native image uploader. There’s also an Ask.fm page up for those who want to ask me stuff. I’ve had some interesting and thought-provoking questions so far, so keep them coming!
Last year‘s resolution was to try out at least five companies which I haven’t played a title from before. I am very happy to announce that I actually succeeded! The games were hibiki works’ PRETTY×CATION, sweetlight’s Himawari!!, AkabeiSoft3’s Dekinai Watashi ga Kurikaesu, Acacia Soft’s Natsumero and propeller’s Sukimazakura.
Random 2014 tidbits:
- It’s Sana’s 5th year anniversary! Among the goods are a signed shikishi and tapestry by Agumi Oto, who I met and talked with at Anime North. She even said 「やっほー、お兄さま！」 in one of the Q&A panels by request! It was an experience I’ll never forget!
- Year-end user rankings haven’t started yet, but Tsuriotsu2 and Majokoi (feat. Niijima Yuu) promise to be frontrunners.
- Sekai Project had two successful Kickstarter campaigns in CLANNAD and Grisaia. They were both quickly backed within a day or two. There’s also more visual novels popping up on Steam (Sakura Spirit, planetarian, eden*, Nekopara), albeit all-ages. This is a good sign for the international community.
- There were quite a few remakes or expansions of old games, including La DEA., Escalayer Reboot, Happiness! Emotion, 120-en no Haru and Natsu Kagura. BaseSon will also continue the trend in the next two years with Koihime.
- Doujin circles can make some very polished games, like NEKO WORKS’ Nekopara (trilingual with E-mote) and Tinkle Bell’s Rondo Duo (cinematic Flash movies). Support them if you can!
- The E-mote system is being used increasingly more (Hapiemo, Himawari!!, Harukaze and Nekopara), although to varying levels of success.
- There’s a trend towards more downloadable content and append discs (PRETTYxCATION, Tsuriotsu, Otokana, Golden Marriage).
- An increase in online content and sales may have been a major factor in the cancellation of the DreamParty event (now a chara goods shop) and the end of long-running eroge magazine Dengeki Hime.
- Daito, Grisaia, Fate and Waremete got anime adaptations this year, with Aokana on the horizon for 2015.
- What’s with all the bouncing oppai in eroge OPs lately?
- Smartphones are seen more frequently in eroge nowadays, from your typical LINE convos to searching for loli elves and fighting daemons. They also are necessary in order to get BELLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- YuzuPara ended, but I just replaced one mobage with another (Megami Engage! Quest). I don’t learn.
- The Imopara2 manga adaptation was labelled as ‘unhealthy publication’. I don’t see what’s so unhealthy about sibling skinship.
- Use of right hand is prohibited!!
- EffordomSoft folded after Juukishi got a median rating of 10 in its first week on EGS. That’s right: 10.
- I love turtlenecks.
- I love transformation scenes.
I played a total of 26 games this year (on top of trials), with a mix of both old and new games. Among new games, I particularly enjoyed Clover Day’s, Sakigen, Sakusaku, Onikin and Aokana. I also played Clover Heart’s at the start of the year to prep for Clover Day’s. Astraythem was quite good as it’s pretty much Agumi Oto heaven. Thanks for the recommendation, Oot! I think out of all the games I played, my favourite was Clover Day’s. Imoutos, twins, nostalgia, lots of mofumofu. It also made me crave fish sando for months afterwards. I didn’t end up reading much manga or LNs last year, but I hope to return to them in the coming year.
I love imoutos and there’s plenty of them this year, including Sekachu‘s Kokoro, Innocent Girl‘s Hinako, HapyMaher FD‘s Maia, Bakamoe‘s Kurumi, Koisex‘s Shiho, ALIA’s CARNIVAL‘s Karin, Clover Day’s‘ Anzu and Anri, Endless Dungeon‘s Miko, Hikoukigumo‘s Mina, Juukishi‘s Miyabi, Renai Harem‘s Yuina, Love Sweets‘ Iori, Sistopia‘s Yuno and Chika, Golden Marriage‘s Marika, Hapiemo‘s Sumomo, Haruka Kanata‘s Haruka, Sakigen‘s Ririko, Souma-kun‘s Yuna, Chiccha Love Apart‘s Hinata, Niina-chan‘s Niina, Scramble Lovers‘ Yui, Harvest OverRay‘s Sumi, Koi DOKi‘s Kokoro, Sakusaku‘s Konami, G.I.B.‘s Sorami, AstralAir‘s Rinne, Shinsei Mokushiro‘s Suzu, Ichayaba‘s Meguri, Himawari‘s Mikoto, Satsukoi‘s Yuu, Onikin‘s Tsugumi, Ayuka, Kaede and Yuki, Yakimochi‘s Sana, Minakoi‘s Miyako, Monomono‘s Tsubasa, Koiharu‘s Chifuyu, Bunny Paradise‘s Karin, Tonakoi‘s Megumi, Cocoro@Function! NEO‘s Asagao, Tsuriotsu2‘s Atre, Kamimaho‘s Kisaki, Seiiki‘s Yukana and Prism Princess‘ Ai. And this year’s winner is… no, winners are… Clover Day’s‘ Anzu and Anri! You can’t have one without the other, so there’s plenty of mofumofu to be had!
可 愛 い じ ゃ な い か ！
2015 promises to be full of hype for Tree of Savior. With its 80 classes, I might end up disappearing for a while at some point. There’s also lots of #hikaributts love, but an Agumi Oto-voiced imouto in Nonoka…?! Take my money!! But I guess I still need to make a New Year’s resolution. Last year’s seems to have worked pretty well, so let’s go with that again: play at least five games from companies which I have not tried before.
Once again, thank you for your continued support! Let us enjoy another year of eroge and imoutos!