Welcome to 2012!
Well, that year passed by pretty quickly. Once again, I’ll give a short recap of the past year and touch upon my New Year’s resolutions. Let’s hope this year is full of imoutos!
The top story of 2011 is definitely the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami on March 11th. Aside from the obvious destruction and loss of life, it also had an effect on eroge companies and the anime industry. Almost every game scheduled in March and April was delayed and some companies located in affected regions suspended operations temporarily. Both the Tokyo Anime Fair and Anime Content Expo were cancelled. Various companies (AkabeiSoft2, YuzuSoft, Visual Arts, Clochette) donated money to relief efforts. Almost 9 months later, some cities are only just beginning to recover. Let us wish for a more peaceful year for them.
Since starting a new job in a new city, I’ve scaled back on my writing. Weekly news have been predominantly focused on eroge-related material since mid-May, while monthly previews continue as before. Zen and nemuiwanko also write up seasonal anime posts at their leisure, with me chipping in every now and then. Reviews are pretty much a lost cause as Zen and I combined for an amazing three reviews (one of which was a joke) the whole year. If you’re interested in hearing our comments on games we’re playing, drop by the IRC channel (#hauomochikaeri @ IRC HighWay) or send me a tweet. The blog reached 1 million pageviews in July – thank you very much to everyone for visiting!
My resolution from last year was to play the top 10 imouto-ge according to EGS. Over the course of the year, Mizuiro had dropped out of the top 10 and was replaced by Mashifoni. I had played both already, so it didn’t really have an effect. I fully completed Moshiraba, Akasaka and Shinikiss, and played the routes for Yukiuta‘s Nano and Yosuga‘s Sora. So, I’ve now played 8 of the top 10, with Akiren and Sinsemilla to go… I guess it was a qualified success. Moshiraba is now among my favourite games with its heartwrenching stories. Since December is looking mighty thin, I’ve started the Moe Game Award 2010 winner Sinsemilla and look forward to an engaging story.
Random 2011 tidbits:
- Madoka dominated Saimoe 2011, but it wasn’t the titular character that won. Instead it was Mami, who was heads above everyone else.
- Speaking of Madoka, my first comment on the series: “Since Oreimo ended, I’m watching Hidamadoka Sketch Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica since it’s more in line with my tastes than Zen’s. I thought it was a pretty good first episode and I love the futuristic setting. The opening and ending scenes were a little weird and felt like it was made overly absurd. Nevertheless, I’ll be watching a few more eps to see how it turns out.” Then a few eps later: “I knew there was something suspicious about that squirrel…”
- Eroge/VN anime adaptations this year: Oretsuba, Steins;Gate, Hoshikaka (WHY), Majikoi and Mashifoni. Koichoco has been announced for 2012. The wonder that is the yaoibou will be soon known to all.
- まったく、小学生は最高だぜ!! (and it’ll continue next year with Papakiki…)
- I finally got around to making my harem list. Contrary to popular belief, it is not all imoutos. Because an imouto in only an apron doesn’t count as a maid.
- There was a patch to make all the imoutos in Imopara blood-related. Naturally, I applied it. 背徳感↑
- No D.C. game released this year! But don’t panic – D.C.III will be out in April.
- YuzuSoft no longer blocks foreign IPs! Hooray!
- It seems like there’s more eroge/VN iPhone and Android apps coming out nowadays.
- Who knew that eroge can help you learn how to cook? (Not that it helped them stay in business…)
- Moetopia started up in July. Web Koihime Musou is so addictive.
I played a total of 24 games this year: 13 of which were released this year, with 14 full comps. From this year’s releases, Iroseka‘s Shinku route was probably one of my favs. It’s truly a 神ゲー. As guilty pleasures go, fandisks Flyable CandyHeart (especially the crossover route) and Koisora FD were extremely enjoyable. I signed up for Dokusho Meter to keep track of my books and have been making a significant dent into the backlog. My favourite manga from this year would be Kiniro Mosaic, while my fav LN is RO-KYU-BU!. Everyone loves loli basketball!
There were plenty of adorable imoutos this year, such as Imopara‘s Koharu, LoverAble‘s Kaho, Onigokko‘s Aoi, Marguerite‘s Matsuri, Kamikaze‘s Manami, Sukima‘s Sakura, Ikikoi‘s Eika, Imostyle‘s Mikan, Siskoi‘s Yui, Shushu‘s Hina, Koikishi‘s Yuu, Hareten‘s Nazuna and Imosen‘s Yotsuha. But my favourite is definitely Harupoco‘s Ai, who’s a lock for my harem list next time I update it. Don’t underestimate the power of a bracon!
As for New Year’s resolutions for this year, nothing too fancy: continue making my way down the top imouto-ge list. Let’s say at least finish 18 of top 20. Currently I’m at 13.
Thanks for visiting us as always and we hope you look forward to this year as much as we do. There are so many imoutos out there waiting for us!