Typing Mania 4
What do you get when you combine anime songs and a typing game? The addictive flash game Typing Mania 4 ! The trick though is that most of the songs will be in romaji (not the standard ones you’ll see here; discussed below) except for some songs which are in English, such as “Euphoric Field” and “Fly Me to the Moon”. It has a feel similar to DDR and its hundred clone army, but you don’t need to type the lyrics according to when they’re sung, just within the interval given. This actually threw my typing off a lot as I wait for the song to catch up before typing more.
Controls are pretty much straightforward. Use the up/down arrow keys to choose your song. The level of difficulty can be adjusted with the left/right arrow keys (Easy, normal, hard, nightmare). A word of caution: start with the lower levels first to get a feel for it. Anything over 9 is really tough. And, let’s not talk about “Motteke! Sailor Fuku” (Lucky Star OP). You can check out its difficulty level and even attempt it at your leisure.
There are some options, such as:
- Kana input (1): For those with a kana-based keyboard.
- Hard mode (2): Screw up too much and game over.
- Light mode (3): Just for visual purposes in the flash setting.
- Sudden mode (4): The lyrics for the next line won’t show up until that part of the song begins.
- Internal reverse (5): The interval/song timer bar counts down instead of up.
- Background setting (0): Toggles on and off.
In the actual game itself, you just type what you see before the interval ends. There is the romaji, furigana and regular lyrics (with Kanji). I prefer looking at the furigana, but maybe romaji is best for some people. Try to make the least mistakes, get high combos, and all that fun stuff. Or maybe in some cases, just try to make it out alive. A note on the romaji though: it’s probably not the version you’re used to. ‘Si’ instead of ‘Shi’, ‘Tu’ instead of ‘Tsu’ and the list goes on. Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it.
At the end, it’ll show you your final grade and score, along with other stats. I loved the mix of songs that they have, as well as the background artwork that was chosen. They say that they’ll be adding more songs. I read that it is possible to write you own levels too with a bit of work.
Obviously, my favourite levels would be the ones with my favourite songs: ハジメテノオト (Hajimete no Oto), “YOU”, リフレクティア (Reflectia). Actually, I have a lot of other ones I like too.
The ones I found interesting?
- “Symphonic Poem Nausicaa”: The whole song is lalala. Lala la. Lalalalalala. Lalalala.
- “chasse”: Do you know just how hard it is to type “rararunrunruru”
- “Caramelldansen”: I got distracted by the background.
- もってけ！セーラーふく (“Motteke! Sailor Fuku): I tried. I gave up when the interval changed before I typed 10 characters. I tried.
So, try it out and have fun! I’m interested in how you all fare ^^
By the way, I love how in the novice guide they mention that doing ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A B A will do absolutely nothing.